I’ve opted to push the cockpit detail painting with this kit as a lot of it will be visible through the big, single piece clear canopy. Due to the closed canopy I’ve decided for a lighter palette in the cockpit. Although the single piece canopy is a bit of an irritation, it does have a lot of clear flat panels to peer through. So rather than hacking the canopy open to display the work, I’ve decided to go with some lighter colours for the interior.
I’ve chosen Tamiya XF-71 which is IJN cockpit green. The green is a light enough base colour that I can add additional layers to without losing detail into darkness.
The post shading that is visible is a diluted mix of the base XF-71 plus a few drops each of XF-59 desert yellow and XF1 flat black. Vallejo acrylics have were used to highlight the ribs. The rough mix I used is 1:1:1 of camo olive, olive green and sky grey.
All of the detail painting has been done with AK, Vallejo and Citadel acrylics. I’ve used a 2B pencil to scuff the foot wells into metal sheen. A watery mix of AK 722 Dark Tracks and flat black has been washed over the metal sheen to knock back it’s intensity. All the other busyness is from using various browns, greys and greens to create the scuffed up look. Additional metallic edges have been created using the 2B pencil Dark Yellow wash from AK interactive was lathered all over the floor and sidewalls and then cleaned up with a q-tip to bring it all together.
There are a few decals small decals still to apply but I'll need to gloss up the small sections where they are to be applied.
Vallejo acrylics are perfect for picking out details like these.
The seat has also received the same treatment as the interior. I painted it separately to make that job easier rather than painting it in-situ. I tried using the AK worn effects fluid on this but I can't say I was happy with the result. I reverted back to the tried and true method of painted chips and pencil marks.
And a dry fit to check that everything goes together and fits where it needs to.
Next up - fuselage assembly and cockpit installation (and I'll show you how the instrument panel turns out)