Some members of the modelling fraternity would shake their heads at me doing this but believe me I was more than happy to do it.
An update! Finally.
The Raiden has been languishing on the shelf of shame for probably a year and with the momentum I've had with other models I've decided to get some of the colour onto it.
Probably one of the quickest builds I've done in a long time, I managed to finish the P-47 on Sunday just gone (4th June 2017).
This is the well known 1/48 P-47D by Taimiya. No introductions are needed for it as it's been established as 'the' P-47 to build in 48th scale. The kit is well know for its accuracy, ease of construction and popularity.
I’ve built it to represent “The Reamer’ flown by Lt. Jack H. Reams of the 347FS, 350FG USAAF during their deployment in Italy during 1944-1945. The connection of course being the pilot and my son share the same name, there always has to be a link!
Tamiya’s 1/48th P-47D Bubbletop version first came out in 1999 and I have no reason at all for why I haven't built the kit already. It’s a sad state of affairs that I’ve recently managed to remedy. I was supplied the Lifelike Decals sheet 48-049 ‘Republic P-47D Thunderbolt Part 9’ that contains three schemes to chose from. The first was a Razorback in the olive drab scheme that appeared in the original Razorback box, the second is a Bubbltop although the it has the fuselage fin extension and the final one was a rather plain natural metal scheme that at first glance looked unobtrusive. However on closer inspection it’s name ‘The Reamer’ and it’s glamorous art works had me hooked. And considering the pilot Jack Ream and my son share their first names, I couldn’t go past it.
With a new year it is usually followed by resolutions…I don’t go much for that sort of stuff. I purchased the already much lauded 1/48 Airfix Boulton-Paul Defiant from Paul at The Last Stand Miniatures and Gaming Hardware at Corinda just before the new year rolled over. On the first day of January I started building it, and without any resolutions in sight.
This is the 1/48th Trumpeter FGA.6 Seahawk. I started this about a year ago and I’ve just finished it today (16/10/16). It’s been around a while so and information about the kit is readily available online so I won’t cover that here but I will cover some of the issues that I had when building it.
I’ve opted to push the cockpit detail painting with this kit as a lot of it will be visible through the big, single piece clear canopy. Due to the closed canopy I’ve decided for a lighter palette in the cockpit. Although the single piece canopy is a bit of an irritation, it does have a lot of clear flat panels to peer through. So rather than hacking the canopy open to display the work, I’ve decided to go with some lighter colours for the interior.
I’ve chosen Tamiya XF-71 which is IJN cockpit green. The green is a light enough base colour that I can add additional layers to without losing detail into darkness.
The post shading that is visible is a diluted mix of the base XF-71 plus a few drops each of XF-59 desert yellow and XF1 flat black. Vallejo acrylics have were used to highlight the ribs. The rough mix I used is 1:1:1 of camo olive, olive green and sky grey.
This kit has been around since 1996 so it shouldn't be a stranger to many of you. The kit I am using is item number 09145. I like the look of the Raiden. A short tubby fast little number that was purpose built as a short range interceptor to defend against the high flying B-29 Super Fortresses
Jamie Haggo has become quite well known modeller in recent times particularly for his heavily weathered and derelict subjects. Though I prefer not to weather a model to the extent that Jamie does, I do like to display my models with some in service wear and tear. You know, the general grime and stains that you'd see on an aircraft that has been in service for a number of years. And perhaps missed the last visit to the paint shop.
I'm going to try and emulate some of the techniques on the Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3 Raiden. I won't be going all extreme on it but I will attempt to present the subject with some life to it - a story if you will.
One thing I find myself doing now with most of my builds is to do a test fit of the major assembly components. In this case the two fuselage halves, tailplanes, engine cowl, upper engine cowl fairing and the upper and lower wing parts. Some Tamiya tape holds it all together and I'm pleased to say that there aren't any major issues to speak of. The only issue to report is the wing root join to fuselage is an approximate half millimetre gap on either side. It's something that I can live with as it can be easily address with either some Mr Surfacer or Tamiya putty. I may even opt for a spreader in the fuselage.