This website will close permanently on the 26th of May 2019.
Thank you for stopping by to visit.
The EMB-312 Tucano is simple in design and the plastic by Hobbyboss reflects this. I bought this kit on Sunday the 28 October and I started it on Thursday night. It's now Sunday afternoon and the fuselage is together, wings are on and it's well on its way to paint. So far the build has been vice-less.
Interesting to note is that I started another two seat trainer on the same night and it's almost ready for fuselage assembly and wings. It's amazing what you can get done when you get your build and painting steps sorted! I hope to have that one poasted up here by the end of the week.
This one has certainly been a palate cleanser and promises to be for the remainder of the build.
Adjustments from the kit are swapping out the woefully out of register kit decals for a set of Caracal items and the Mk.8LC ejection seats replaced by Pavla items.
I'm really enjoying this build.
Now that the Mustang is done I'm back to the Hasegawa F-86F-40. The plan is to complete it as a Philippine jet in a grotty condition. I'd painted some initial colours but I wasn't keen on how they turned out so I stripped it back to plastic.
These jets had worn noses and wing leading edges due to the lack of primer that was used. I'm doing the chipping fluid technique on this one so I've painted the wear areas with a Tamiya acrylic silver colour. I'll darken this area as I don't want a metallic sheen to the dinged areas.
I'll apply a grey primer to the rest of the fuselage and then seal and apply the chipping fluid to the wear areas.
Hopefully it'll end up looking like something in the original photo below. Generously sent to me from Diego Rogoz at Hi-Decals.
It can be a rewarding or disappointing moment in the build of a model, but the removal of the paint masks is something I enjoy.
Some members of the modelling fraternity would shake their heads at me doing this but believe me I was more than happy to do it.
An update! Finally.
The Raiden has been languishing on the shelf of shame for probably a year and with the momentum I've had with other models I've decided to get some of the colour onto it.
The Bell X-1 is one of, if not the most well know 'X' planes in aviation history history. It was the first manned machine to exceed the sound barrier, piloted by Chuck Yeager on the 14th of October 1947.
This kit is the Eduard kit item 8079.
I didn't realise it but I hadn't added my version of Cleopatra III built from the 1/48 Hasegawa P-40N boxing. Head here to have a look at it.
It's been a weekend away for us so bench time has been pretty much non-existent. I've done a bit since we arrived home this afternoon but thought I'd post it up anyway.
As this is a later Lot jet there are a few panels that need be filled to make it up to date. Hasegawa kindly provide a diagram for the nose panels that need to be filled which is what I've done.
To fill the holes I've mixed up some CA and talc to make a material that's quite easy to sand. Mr Surfacer could probably do the job but as it dries it shrinks and leaves the filled areas still visible. This results in an added application and sometimes more depending on how big the area is. This mix of CA and talc has been around for a while and some manufacturers have even produced 'microballons' that act like the talc.
I've applied it with a toothpick on both areas of the nose which need correction. I'll hit them with some wet 400 once dry and then a scrotchbrite to polish to remove any sanding marks.
The Super Hornet continues.
The nose and cockpit tub is together though I've got a couple of seams to remove to make it a RAAF jet. The instructions are kind enough to show you which ones need changing and removal. The fit so far has been excellent with minimal cleanup work. Don't mind the bare plastic in bottom of the tub. I had to remove the locating rail for the bottom of the seat for the resin replacements when they eventually arrive.
The tub is basic but you get the idea.