An update! Finally.
The Raiden has been languishing on the shelf of shame for probably a year and with the momentum I've had with other models I've decided to get some of the colour onto it.
It's been a weekend away for us so bench time has been pretty much non-existent. I've done a bit since we arrived home this afternoon but thought I'd post it up anyway.
As this is a later Lot jet there are a few panels that need be filled to make it up to date. Hasegawa kindly provide a diagram for the nose panels that need to be filled which is what I've done.
To fill the holes I've mixed up some CA and talc to make a material that's quite easy to sand. Mr Surfacer could probably do the job but as it dries it shrinks and leaves the filled areas still visible. This results in an added application and sometimes more depending on how big the area is. This mix of CA and talc has been around for a while and some manufacturers have even produced 'microballons' that act like the talc.
I've applied it with a toothpick on both areas of the nose which need correction. I'll hit them with some wet 400 once dry and then a scrotchbrite to polish to remove any sanding marks.
The Super Hornet continues.
The nose and cockpit tub is together though I've got a couple of seams to remove to make it a RAAF jet. The instructions are kind enough to show you which ones need changing and removal. The fit so far has been excellent with minimal cleanup work. Don't mind the bare plastic in bottom of the tub. I had to remove the locating rail for the bottom of the seat for the resin replacements when they eventually arrive.
The tub is basic but you get the idea.
I’ve opted to push the cockpit detail painting with this kit as a lot of it will be visible through the big, single piece clear canopy. Due to the closed canopy I’ve decided for a lighter palette in the cockpit. Although the single piece canopy is a bit of an irritation, it does have a lot of clear flat panels to peer through. So rather than hacking the canopy open to display the work, I’ve decided to go with some lighter colours for the interior.
I’ve chosen Tamiya XF-71 which is IJN cockpit green. The green is a light enough base colour that I can add additional layers to without losing detail into darkness.
The post shading that is visible is a diluted mix of the base XF-71 plus a few drops each of XF-59 desert yellow and XF1 flat black. Vallejo acrylics have were used to highlight the ribs. The rough mix I used is 1:1:1 of camo olive, olive green and sky grey.
This kit has been around since 1996 so it shouldn't be a stranger to many of you. The kit I am using is item number 09145. I like the look of the Raiden. A short tubby fast little number that was purpose built as a short range interceptor to defend against the high flying B-29 Super Fortresses
Jamie Haggo has become quite well known modeller in recent times particularly for his heavily weathered and derelict subjects. Though I prefer not to weather a model to the extent that Jamie does, I do like to display my models with some in service wear and tear. You know, the general grime and stains that you'd see on an aircraft that has been in service for a number of years. And perhaps missed the last visit to the paint shop.
I'm going to try and emulate some of the techniques on the Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3 Raiden. I won't be going all extreme on it but I will attempt to present the subject with some life to it - a story if you will.
One thing I find myself doing now with most of my builds is to do a test fit of the major assembly components. In this case the two fuselage halves, tailplanes, engine cowl, upper engine cowl fairing and the upper and lower wing parts. Some Tamiya tape holds it all together and I'm pleased to say that there aren't any major issues to speak of. The only issue to report is the wing root join to fuselage is an approximate half millimetre gap on either side. It's something that I can live with as it can be easily address with either some Mr Surfacer or Tamiya putty. I may even opt for a spreader in the fuselage.