An update! Finally.
The Raiden has been languishing on the shelf of shame for probably a year and with the momentum I've had with other models I've decided to get some of the colour onto it.
It'd been sitting on the shelf with Tamiya AS-12 applied ready to get some chipping fluid and then the camo colours. I've previously tried the chipping fluid on some smaller accessories such as access ladders but hadn't tried it on a model yet. I wanted to give the chipping fluid a try on this one; the state of these aircraft that I'd seen in some in-service photos suggested that this would be a good method to try on this subject.
So first off was a watered down application of AK Chipping Effects fluid. The first lesson came with this stuff, I probably need to apply a slightly heavier coat as the effort to achieve the final result was a fair bit of work
The first colour was a marbled application of a very thin Mr Color 122 RLM 82 Light Green. I cut it with Mr Color Thinner and applied it so the AS-12 could still be made out underneath it.
The second colour was a similarly thinned Mr Color 126 Cockpit Color (Mitsubishi) applied in the same way as the first colour. Again it was transparent enough so the underlying colours could be seen through it.
The final colour was Mr Color 124 Dark Green (Mitsubishi) but this time it was applied using two methods. Firstly was application using a scrim mask, the stuff can be found as a packing material in some items. It's a layered material and can be separated into layers of only a few millimetres thickness. I guess you could describe it as a pillow packing material? Once separated the weave of the packing is quite open and with turning it about and moving it around a very random pattern can be applied.
The same colour was then applied without the mask and this time at a low pressure (approx 15PSI) and then 'dotted' onto the surface. I guess the best way to describe it is kind of like scribbling the paint on.
After this had gone down I then spent a good two hours with a stumpy paint brush with bristles about 1mm long and a pottery scribing tool. By scrubbing the paint with the brush I was able to reveal the underlying colours. And by using the pottery tool on it's edge I could roll and scrape it over the wet surface to remove the paint and reveal the silver beneath. I tried to achieve an aircraft that had seen a fair bit of serve but not in a completely unrealistic state where sheets of the paint had peeled off. I know this occured to these aircraft but more often after they had been abandoned or were towards the end of their service life. I was pretty happy with how the chipping in the wing roots turned out.
I used a similar technique for the cowl colour but without the multiple layers of underlying colours. Mr Color 125 Cowing Color was used over the top of AS-12 and the chipping fluid. This time I used a bit more chipping fluid and the result was much easier to achieve.
Although not apparent, some of the photo from the Osprey book I have showed that the cowl colour didn't chip or wear as readily as the camouflage green so I dialled the result back. A handy discovery with the cowl colour is that it is a very ,very dark shade of blue. It might be a good base for a Gloss Sea Blue aircraft from the US Nay fleet during Pacific campaign...save that one for future reference.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I've got it to the point of not going too far with it so it became unrecoverable. With the decalling and then washes and oils, I think I'll end up with the result I'm chasing.
This is how it stands at the moment, it's very glossy in readiness for decals so the final colour isn't there, but you get the idea.
The Mitsubishi grey underside will go on tomorrow.
I forgot to mention that the gloss coat I use is Tamiya X-22 gloss clear. Once it has gone down I then hit with a not quite wet coat of neat Tamiya lacquer thinner. This has the effect of slightly meting the gloss coat and levelling it out. The result is a very glossy and very smooth surface that's great for decal application.