It's been a while since I posted anything on the Jack so thought it time to come up to speed on it. I've been convalescing over the last few weeks due to some major surgery that I had in early August so some of the spare time has been spent at the bench while I've been improving. Among the other shelf sitters that I've been working, I managed to make some progress on theJack today.
Not a great deal has happened since my last update but I did need to strip the Tamiya Chrome silver. This was due to the AK Interactive Chipping Effects medium being to think when applied. After I'd applied the IJN grey on the underside I was going to make of some random panels to break them up, sadly when removing the Tamiya tape it ripped great chunks of IJN grey off the silver that looked totally unrealistic. So out with the tho and about in about fifteen minutes I had the model back to bare plastic. At the start of today I had a coat of Tamiya AS-12, followed by a flat coat and then a 50:50 thinned AK chipping effects fluid. The flat coat allows the AK product to adhere to the silver. This seems to work well as I've done a few small test with Tamiya tape without problems.
The first image shows the model with it's AK fluid ready for the top colours...yep there's chipping fluid on it. In the second image I've added the Tamiya XF-3 flat yellow for the fuselage ID band and wing leading edges.
I had cut some Hinomaru masks using the kit decals to size them as an experiment. When using the circle cutter I found that the edge were a bit fuzzy. I don't know how these will turn out but I'll test one to see how they go. I might opt for some contacts as it should give a decent age or alternatively use a solid cutting surface rather than the hobby mat. We'll see. Below you can see the yellow wing band and fuselage ID band masked with Tamiya tape and the result of my efforts with a circle cutter. The white for the outer edges of the red dots has also been sprayed. The process from now will be 1. lay the outer white mask (as seen below) 2. spray the inner red mask 3. lay the inner red mask and seal the cut edge between the white and red with some mask. The underside is a lot easier as it's a red dot only.
In the next update I'll try and get the entire painting and watering done. That way there'll be a bit more meat in the content and you won't need to wait for another bunch of updates to see the result. Back soon.