The Bell X-1 is one of, if not the most well know 'X' planes in aviation history history. It was the first manned machine to exceed the sound barrier, piloted by Chuck Yeager on the 14th of October 1947.
This kit is the Eduard kit item 8079.
This is the Bell X-1 "Glamorous Glennis" named after his wife as flown by Chuck Yeager on the 14th of October, 1947 for its historic supersonic flight; the first manned aircraft to do so.
I'm not sure if it's a DNF for 2017 or an early starter for 2018 but it's complete and I'm happy with that.
I bought it from Tony at Modelnerds at the Queensland Model and Hobby Expo in late August. It's my third boxing of this kit after selling on the previous two release and this one I finally built. Being a profipack kit it contained extras in the way of a photo etch fret, resin wheel and canopy mask. The wheels are far better than the two piece plastic items and the mask is a big help considering the separate frames for the canopy. The plastic pitot tubes on the nose and wing tips were replaced with brass rod and tube which are again much better defined than the kit specimens.
One thing I did learn is to be sure to paint the glueing edge of a canopy particularly when it's visible. Next time I'll use the canopy glue rather than the Tamiya Extra thin in a situation like this.
The only gripe I have is the decal placement guide. For this historic aircraft no date is given for the particular flight, only referring to it as the later part of 1947. This in turns means that the markings a re slightly different than those suggested. As you can see in the following photo the 'Bell Aircraft' logo is on the port nose which is not present on the decal placement guide.
This was one of two changes made to the markings, the second was to remove the 'A.M.C. Flight Test Division Wright Field Decal' as it was not present.
Assembly was straight forward with the supplied etch pieces used to enhance the spartan cockpit in the way of seat straps and instrument panel. Once the cockpit was done the build was rapid as the wings and tailplane are single piece. Once joined with the fuselage some Mr Surfacer fixed up the average gap and then some Gunze H14 Orange was applied. Once done it sat for two months! Fast forward to last night and I sat down and decalled it in one session. Today I've finished off the fiddly parts and voila!
I held off on panel line washes except for the flight control surfaces as any colour applied would break its clean lines.
A satisfying model to build thanks to the ease of construction and simple paint scheme. A good one to get if you're looking for something simple.