Some members of the modelling fraternity would shake their heads at me doing this but believe me I was more than happy to do it.
And yes, I have seen other folks apply Alclad with deft capabilites and a measure of cleanliness, but unless they paint the model and then carefully step away from it never to touch it again. Id' been careful in handling the model during the mask phase but I was left wanting. Suffice to say that I won't be using the Alcald metal products on the surface finish of a model again.
After shaking my head not so much in dismay but more disappointment I sat down for an hour with some metho, a crusty old toothbrush and some kitchen towel and set to work stripping the paint off it.
After following a metal paint scheme that I had found on line I studiously painted and masked the scheme only to be dealt a demoralising blow when I unmasked the final pieces of masking. The tape that I had used (low tack mind you) had left unwanted and very noticeable marks in the Alclad finish. I know older Alclad products are known to have had problems but I thought that had been restricted to the Grey Suface primer that left a 100 grit texture behind. I had done all the right things regarding surface prep but the images don't lie.
As you can see in the photos, the end result of several shades of Alclad metals masked in various orders had resulted in a model that I was less than impressed with. The Alclad was applied on top of an initial Mr Surfacer 1000 primes and then an Alclad Gloss Black base. "Hanger Rash" is a colloquial term used to describe minor damage to aircraft in the 1:1 world and in this case it was the best way to describe the appearance that this model had.
I was initially happy with the way the first lot of Alclad went down which was the airframe aluminium (no, it's not pronounced aloominum here in Australia). It was the subsequent masking and application over other Alclad shades that resulted with this mess. Even using low tack painters tape and Nitto Electrical tape (the same as the Tamiya wavy tape) I still ended up with a less than satisfactory result.
With some time and elbow grease I was able to get most of the material off using metho. In the hard to reach places around the guns, wing roots and crevices surrounding the underside scoop I used some Mr Colour Thinner and cotton buds to remove the paint and primers in these areas. It's important to use a hobby grad lacquer thinner as anything from consumer grade products will eat plastic in front of your eyes.
Next will be the repaint using good old Tamiya AS-12 and various shades derived from it. Stay tuned.